Canadian News: Pascal a free agent? EOTTM lineup, Beterbiev-Cloud? Moar sidelined, Pagcaliwangan returns
By Ace Freeman (27-Jul-2014)
The latest boxing news from in and around Canada!
* Canadian light heavyweight champion Junior Moar has been forced to withdraw from his scheduled August 1st bout against Phillip Jackson Benson in Shelton, Washington, that was set to air on ESPN due to a blood pressure issue. Moar apologized to fans on his Facebook page and said he hope to be back in the ring as soon as possible.
* Eye of the Tiger Management has released the lineup for their next exciting card set for Aug. 16 in Quebec city. The card will be headlined by Schiller Hyppolite taking on JJ McDonagh. Also in action will be Mian and Ayaz Hussain, Steven Butler and Michael Gadbois. Stay tuned for more in the coming weeks.
* After a tumultuous few weeks of disagreements with his promoters GYM and InterBox, it appears Jean Pascal may be a promotional free agent. Various Montreal outlets reported Pascal became at odds over his recent inactivity and issues surrounding his first proposed bout (in a two fight deal) being staged by the two powerhouse Quebec promoters. Word is Pascal is now self promoting for the time being and may be looking toward a mega-fight with Sergey Kovalev later this fall.
*Renowned former amateur champion Artur Beterbiev (from Russia by way of Quebec) may be on the fast track to a major fight despite his young 4-0 record as a pro. Rumour has it Montreal based promoter Group Yvon Michel is in talks to have his young charge face top American world contender Tavoris Cloud (a veteran of 26 fights and former world titleist) on Sept. 27. This comes after the aforementioned trouble GYM and InterBox had trying to put together a bout between Cloud and Pascal. Stay tuned for more in the coming week.
* Rising Filipino-Canadian super bantamweight Marc Pagcaliwangan will return to the ring Saturday, Sept. 6 against Jovanny Soto at the Hershey Centre, Mississauga, Ontario. The card, being staged by United promotions, will also feature the return of NABA Canadian middleweight champion Brandon Cook.
* Pro Boxing will return to Calgary, Canada on Aug. 16 when fast rising Polish-Canadian welterweight Lukasz Wierzbicki returns to action for the second time in less than two months at the Bowness Sports Plex. Edmonton’s Josh Wagner is also slated to see action on the card and FightFan.com’s Joe Bruiser should be on scene to bring exclusive coverage.
* FightFan.com would like to extend it’s congratulations to Cornwall, Ontario’s Tony Luis, who after putting on a stellar performance on ShoBox last Friday, announced via his social media that he and his fiancé are with child.