PHOTOS — Referee Pat Russell’s “Slip” Up Costs Ruslan Provodnikov a Well Deserved Draw With Timothy Bradley!
By Dr. Ed de la Vega DDS (18-Mar-2013)
Our good friend Dr. Ed de la Vega from Philboxing.com takes an in depth (frame by frame) look at the missed first-round knockdown from Timothy Bradley’s recent thrilling and controversial decision win over Ruslan Provodnikov!Last Saturday, at the Home Depot Center in Carson, CA, WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley received an early St Patrick’s Day gift… and he wasn’t even Irish! In the middle of the very first round, Ruslan Provodnikov, the Russian slugger who used to spar with Manny Pacquiao, hit Tim Bradley with a left hook that sent the champion to his hands and knees. Bradley grabbed the Russian’s waist as he went down. Strangely, referee Pat Russell, who was supposedly watching closely, missed the punch that knocked Bradley down. It was amazing Russell ruled the way he did when Bradley was clearly out of his wits and had no balance upon getting up. Unfortunately, Russell either missed it or blew the call and the fight went on…. with Bradley winning a close decision. A Tragic result for Provodnikov because all three judges scored the opening round 10-9 for him. Had it been credited as a 10-8 round; (as it should have been scored had that legitimate knockdown been ruled as such) subtracting a single point from Bradley would have dropped two of the official scorecards from 114-113 to 113-113 and the fight WOULD have been ruled a majority draw! Ha! That’s boxing!
- Adrien Broner vs. Emanuel Taylor Saturday on Showtime!
- Brandon ‘Bad Boy’ Cook and Mark Pagcaliwangan headline at Mississauga’s Hershey Centre Saturday Sept. 6th!
- All Access: Mayweather vs. Maidana 2 – Episode 1!
- Pacquiao-Algieri: 27,273-Mile Media Tour Highlights
- ‘Alien’ Hopkins vs. ‘Krusher’ Kovalev lands Nov. 8 in AC!
- Medina stuns Love, Jack and Gavril win on ShoBox!
- Ain’t that a Thrill: Gavril batters Falowo on ShoBox!
- Huck ties Nelson’s record of 13 defenses with win in Germany!