PHOTOS — Referee Pat Russell’s “Slip” Up Costs Ruslan Provodnikov a Well Deserved Draw With Timothy Bradley!
By Dr. Ed de la Vega DDS (18-Mar-2013)
Our good friend Dr. Ed de la Vega from Philboxing.com takes an in depth (frame by frame) look at the missed first-round knockdown from Timothy Bradley’s recent thrilling and controversial decision win over Ruslan Provodnikov!Last Saturday, at the Home Depot Center in Carson, CA, WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley received an early St Patrick’s Day gift… and he wasn’t even Irish! In the middle of the very first round, Ruslan Provodnikov, the Russian slugger who used to spar with Manny Pacquiao, hit Tim Bradley with a left hook that sent the champion to his hands and knees. Bradley grabbed the Russian’s waist as he went down. Strangely, referee Pat Russell, who was supposedly watching closely, missed the punch that knocked Bradley down. It was amazing Russell ruled the way he did when Bradley was clearly out of his wits and had no balance upon getting up. Unfortunately, Russell either missed it or blew the call and the fight went on…. with Bradley winning a close decision. A Tragic result for Provodnikov because all three judges scored the opening round 10-9 for him. Had it been credited as a 10-8 round; (as it should have been scored had that legitimate knockdown been ruled as such) subtracting a single point from Bradley would have dropped two of the official scorecards from 114-113 to 113-113 and the fight WOULD have been ruled a majority draw! Ha! That’s boxing!
- B. WARE: History in the Making – Bermane Stiverne focused on capturing heavyweight crown in rematch with Arreola!
- Jean Pascal inks a two fight deal with GYM and InterBox!
- Hopkins looking to unify world titles this Saturday at 49!
- Exclusive Photo Gallery: Promoter Cohen Congratulates Usmanee for Gutty Performance Against Beltran!
- FightFan.com visits Bermane Stiverne in camp for Arreola!
- Saul Alvarez to face Erislandy Lara July 12 on PPV!
- Lemieux-Guerrero lands on Stevenson card, McGuinness headlines Golden Boy Card June 5th, Stiverne on ESPN!
- Manny Pacquiao speaks: “This win over Bradley was important… I proved my boxing journey will continue!”