Tonight’s ShoBox Main Event Almost Happened Thursday!
By FightFan News Wire (16-Nov-2012)
Joey Hernandez and James Winchester almost tee’d off one day early at Thursday’s official weigh-in at Gulfstream Park in Hallandale Beach, Fla., in advance of Friday’s “Sunshine State Showdown” televised doubleheader (ShoBox: The New Generation live on SHOWTIME beginning at 11 p.m. ET/PT).The fighters who’ll compete in the co-feature tomorrow/Nov. 16, on ShoBox: The New Generation live on SHOWTIME® (11 p.m. ET/PT, delayed on the West Coast) from Gulfstream Park in Hallandale Beach, Fla., had to be separated by their camps after a mini-melee broke out Thursday during the weigh-in.
The fracas between super welterweights Joey ‘Twinkle Fingers’ Hernandez (22-1-1, 13 KOs), of Miami, and James ‘Shotgun’ Winchester (15-5, 5 KOs), of Greensboro, N.C., came after Hernandez shoved Winchester before they were to pose for cameras after they both weighed in.
Their 10-round clash, which will open the telecast, was just added to the televised portion of the event late Wednesday.
No one enjoyed the commotion more than Hall of Fame promoter, Don King.
Both fighters made weight; Hernandez tipped the scale at 156 pounds, Winchester 155¾.
Undefeated lightweights Angelo “La Cobra” Santana (13-0, 10 KOs), of Miami, Fla., and Johnny Garcia (13-0, 8 KOs), of Holland, Mich., collide in the ShoBox main event.
Garcia made the contracted weight (135 pounds) easily, coming in at 133¾ pounds. Santana came in 1¾ pounds overweight, however, and had two hours to shed the excess poundage.
Tickets priced at $25, $50, $100 and $200 are on sale and can be purchased online at www.gulfstreampark.com or by calling the Gulfstream Park box office at (954) 457-6201.
Sunshine State Showdown is promoted by Don King Productions. Doors open at 7:30 p.m. ET. Six bouts are planned, beginning at 8 PM.
- Adonis Stevenson on PBC debut on CBS Saturday vs. Sakio Bika: “Superman doesn’t feel pressure. I am the man!”
- Mayweather-Pacquiao: A look inside training camp!
- Steve ‘The Dragon’ Claggett Defends Canadian Title Against ‘The Mighty’ Tebor Brosch on April 3 in Calgary, Alberta
- Gary Russell Jr. wins WBC featherweight world title with impressive blow-out of Jhonny Gonzalez on Showtime!
- Logan McGuinness and Razor Ruddock both returned to action with victories Saturday in Mississauga!
- Kell Brook runs over Jo Jo Dan in four rounds!
- Fan Cam: Nonito Donaire returns to 122 lbs to stop Prado!
- Canada’s uncrowned world champion Tyson Cave keeps busy with another win in Montreal Friday!
Leave a Reply
Note: We love to hear everyone's say, good or bad, but please try to keep your comments classy. Racist, sexist, homophobic, and otherwise tasteless remarks will not be tolerated. If you wish to ensure that your comments are posted right away (and not held for moderation) avoid using questionable language.
FightFan.com reserves the right to withhold, delete, and edit any comments which do not seem suitable to the discussion. FightFan.com also reserves the right to permanently ban any user that posts any comment that is deemed as unacceptable.