Tonight’s ShoBox Main Event Almost Happened Thursday!
By FightFan News Wire (16-Nov-2012)
Joey Hernandez and James Winchester almost tee’d off one day early at Thursday’s official weigh-in at Gulfstream Park in Hallandale Beach, Fla., in advance of Friday’s “Sunshine State Showdown” televised doubleheader (ShoBox: The New Generation live on SHOWTIME beginning at 11 p.m. ET/PT).The fighters who’ll compete in the co-feature tomorrow/Nov. 16, on ShoBox: The New Generation live on SHOWTIME® (11 p.m. ET/PT, delayed on the West Coast) from Gulfstream Park in Hallandale Beach, Fla., had to be separated by their camps after a mini-melee broke out Thursday during the weigh-in.
The fracas between super welterweights Joey ‘Twinkle Fingers’ Hernandez (22-1-1, 13 KOs), of Miami, and James ‘Shotgun’ Winchester (15-5, 5 KOs), of Greensboro, N.C., came after Hernandez shoved Winchester before they were to pose for cameras after they both weighed in.
Their 10-round clash, which will open the telecast, was just added to the televised portion of the event late Wednesday.
No one enjoyed the commotion more than Hall of Fame promoter, Don King.
Both fighters made weight; Hernandez tipped the scale at 156 pounds, Winchester 155¾.
Undefeated lightweights Angelo “La Cobra” Santana (13-0, 10 KOs), of Miami, Fla., and Johnny Garcia (13-0, 8 KOs), of Holland, Mich., collide in the ShoBox main event.
Garcia made the contracted weight (135 pounds) easily, coming in at 133¾ pounds. Santana came in 1¾ pounds overweight, however, and had two hours to shed the excess poundage.
Tickets priced at $25, $50, $100 and $200 are on sale and can be purchased online at www.gulfstreampark.com or by calling the Gulfstream Park box office at (954) 457-6201.
Sunshine State Showdown is promoted by Don King Productions. Doors open at 7:30 p.m. ET. Six bouts are planned, beginning at 8 PM.
- Pacquiao calls out Mayweather: “It’s time to say something… The fans deserve this fight and it’s time to make it happen!”
- Pacquiao dominates a retreating Algieri, scoring six knockdowns on route to a shutout victory!
- Saturday results: Vargas, Bellew, Groves, DeGale, Shiming and Lomachenko all victorious in weekend action!
- Steve Claggett’s patented body work breaks Castaneda!
- Early quick results from Teofista Series 14 in Calgary!
- David Theroux, Michael Gadbois, Ayaz Hussain and Steven Butler score impressive wins in Sorel-Tracy, Quebec!
- Pacquiao on weight, Algieri slightly over in Macau, China!
- Watch Pacquiao and Algieri weigh in ahead of Saturday night’s big PPV event, live on HBO from Macau, China!
Leave a Reply
Note: We love to hear everyone's say, good or bad, but please try to keep your comments classy. Racist, sexist, homophobic, and otherwise tasteless remarks will not be tolerated. If you wish to ensure that your comments are posted right away (and not held for moderation) avoid using questionable language.
FightFan.com reserves the right to withhold, delete, and edit any comments which do not seem suitable to the discussion. FightFan.com also reserves the right to permanently ban any user that posts any comment that is deemed as unacceptable.