Brian Viloria Batters Hernan Marquez in an Absolute War!
By Ace Freeman (17-Nov-2012)
Brian Viloria TKO10 Hernan MarquezMulti-division world champion Brian Viloria unified the WBO and WBA world flyweight titles in impressive fashion Saturday night, battering a gallant Hernan ‘Tyson’ Marquez at the Los Angeles Sports Arena in Los Angeles, CA on route to a thrilling tenth round stoppage.
It was who Marquez came storming out of the gate in the opening stanza looking for the early stoppage but ate a huge right hand counter on the button from Viloria that put him on the seat of his pants. It was high drama as Viloria took command and started to dictate the action. The ‘Hawaiian Punch’ boxed beautifully in the opening rounds and placed his hard punches in bunches to jump out to an early lead.
In Round 5 Marquez rallied and landed a huge combo that stunned Viloria. Smelling blood, Marquez went for broke and had Viloria nearly out on his feet. He pummeled the Filipino fighter all around the ring and just when it looked like it was about to be stopped Viloria exploded with a combination of his own. Marquez seemed to have emptied his tank in the sequence and was stunned Viloria came back to life. A sudden right hand from the Filipino then put Marquez down in what capped one of the best rounds of 2012 to date.
Marquez survived the round and both fighters went back to work in the sixth.
The pace somewhat slowed in the middle rounds as Viloria elected to box behind a stiff jab. Marquez was a bit more reluctant to engage and as a result found himself in a hole on the scorecards through the middle rounds.
The Mexican fighter dug deep and found a second wind in the championship rounds as he continued to step on the gas. Viloria looked the more tired of the two late in the bout but he remained poised and boxed well.
In one final push Marquez charged at his man in the tenth. Shades of Round 5 as it looked like Viloria was in trouble… until he (once again) exploded out of nowhere with a bomb of a counter left hook that floored the Mexican hard.
Marquez beat the count but his trainer Robert Garcia wisely threw in the towel to save his fighter from further punishment giving Viloria the thrilling tenth round TKO win.
Viloria moves to an impressive 32-3 (19 KOs) with the victory and unifies the WBO and WBA flyweight belts while Marquez drops to 33-3 (25 KOs).
- Quick Jabs: Braehmer-Konrad, Silva-Moreno, Bizzarro Promotions, More!
- “Training Camp Went Extremely Well”: Antonio Nieves Ready for Jung; Wants Rematch with Stephon Young!
- Dawejko Dominates Visinia to Get Back in in the Heavyweight Mix
- Canada’s Janks Trotter added to Mayweather-Berto card!
- WATCH Rob Nichols vs. David Whittom Canadian “Fight of the Year” candidate and tell us who you think won
- Highlights: Santa Cruz tops Mares in a barn burner!
- Watch Canadian Denton Daley’s “KO of the Year” candidate stoppage on another thrilling United Promotions card!
- Steve Claggett and Stuart McLellan officially announce their Sept. 18 Canadian title fight at Grand Opening of Red Deer and District Boxing Club in Alberta!