Brian Viloria Batters Hernan Marquez in an Absolute War!
By Ace Freeman (17-Nov-2012)
Brian Viloria TKO10 Hernan MarquezMulti-division world champion Brian Viloria unified the WBO and WBA world flyweight titles in impressive fashion Saturday night, battering a gallant Hernan ‘Tyson’ Marquez at the Los Angeles Sports Arena in Los Angeles, CA on route to a thrilling tenth round stoppage.
It was who Marquez came storming out of the gate in the opening stanza looking for the early stoppage but ate a huge right hand counter on the button from Viloria that put him on the seat of his pants. It was high drama as Viloria took command and started to dictate the action. The ‘Hawaiian Punch’ boxed beautifully in the opening rounds and placed his hard punches in bunches to jump out to an early lead.
In Round 5 Marquez rallied and landed a huge combo that stunned Viloria. Smelling blood, Marquez went for broke and had Viloria nearly out on his feet. He pummeled the Filipino fighter all around the ring and just when it looked like it was about to be stopped Viloria exploded with a combination of his own. Marquez seemed to have emptied his tank in the sequence and was stunned Viloria came back to life. A sudden right hand from the Filipino then put Marquez down in what capped one of the best rounds of 2012 to date.
Marquez survived the round and both fighters went back to work in the sixth.
The pace somewhat slowed in the middle rounds as Viloria elected to box behind a stiff jab. Marquez was a bit more reluctant to engage and as a result found himself in a hole on the scorecards through the middle rounds.
The Mexican fighter dug deep and found a second wind in the championship rounds as he continued to step on the gas. Viloria looked the more tired of the two late in the bout but he remained poised and boxed well.
In one final push Marquez charged at his man in the tenth. Shades of Round 5 as it looked like Viloria was in trouble… until he (once again) exploded out of nowhere with a bomb of a counter left hook that floored the Mexican hard.
Marquez beat the count but his trainer Robert Garcia wisely threw in the towel to save his fighter from further punishment giving Viloria the thrilling tenth round TKO win.
Viloria moves to an impressive 32-3 (19 KOs) with the victory and unifies the WBO and WBA flyweight belts while Marquez drops to 33-3 (25 KOs).
- Words before War: Jo Jo Dan and Kevin Bizier ready to throw down one more time this Friday on Showtime!
- Fast rising light heavyweight threat Artur Beterbiev returns Friday for the first time since destroying Tavoris Cloud!
- Pascal vs. Kovalev official for March 14 in Montreal!
- Adonis Stevenson: “I am focused on Friday and will win by KO… and then my plan is to face Kovalev in 2015!”
- Pacquiao keeps the pressure on Floyd with Tuesday Tweet: “Don’t be a humbug, lets give the fans the fight they want!”
- Adonis Stevenson looks to close 2014 with a BANG Friday on Showtime! Beterbiev, Bizier-Dan, Dirrell in action too!
- Irish Eyes are Smiling: Andy Lee’s improbable world title victory has him a “Fighter of the Year” candidate!
- WBC Champ Bermane Stiverne Defends Against KO Artist Deontay Wilder Jan. 17 On Showtime At MGM in Las Vegas!
42 Responses to “Brian Viloria Batters Hernan Marquez in an Absolute War!”
Disclaimer: FightFan.com will NOT be held responsible for ANY of the content appearing in the following discussion, but will do it's best ensure that the discussion stays relevant, beneficial, and acceptable to the readers of this site.
Leave a Reply
Note: We love to hear everyone's say, good or bad, but please try to keep your comments classy. Racist, sexist, homophobic, and otherwise tasteless remarks will not be tolerated. If you wish to ensure that your comments are posted right away (and not held for moderation) avoid using questionable language.
FightFan.com reserves the right to withhold, delete, and edit any comments which do not seem suitable to the discussion. FightFan.com also reserves the right to permanently ban any user that posts any comment that is deemed as unacceptable.