Mayol vs. Marquez Latest Chapter of Philippines vs. Mexico!
By Ace Freeman (22-Mar-2012)
UPDATE: The last we heard, Rodel Mayol has refused to fight after what his team says was a suspicious weigh-in where they felt Marquez looked two pounds heavy on the scale. Team Mayol claims this was covered up and they have refused to fight as a result.All-action Mexican warrior Hernan ‘Tyson’ Marquez will defend his WBA flyweight title against Filipino banger Rodel Mayol this Saturday, March 24 in Ciudad Obregon, Mexico. Mayol, who has fought in Mexico five times, spent several months training for the bout in Cebu, Philippines before moving camp to Los Angeles. Marquez was recently named “Fighter of the Year” for 2011 by the WBA and while Mayol will have a tough task ahead of him he hopes to follow in the footsteps of his countrymen Richie Mepranum and Nonito Donaire… two Pinoy fighters who defeated Marquez in recent years.
- Froch-Groves II sells 60,000 tickets in under an hour!
- Martinez and Cotto Face-to-Face in Puerto Rico!
- Q&A with Australian heavyweight contender Mark de Mori!
- Canelo TKO 10 Angulo — PHOTOS from Las Vegas!
- Mayweather: “I can’t overlook Marcos Maidana!”
- Pacquiao back in Los Angeles for Wild Card training!
- Canelo out-classes Angulo on route to 10th round TKO!
- Tyson Cave stops Soto, has Gauthier on tap April 9th!