Mayol vs. Marquez Latest Chapter of Philippines vs. Mexico!
By Ace Freeman (22-Mar-2012)
UPDATE: The last we heard, Rodel Mayol has refused to fight after what his team says was a suspicious weigh-in where they felt Marquez looked two pounds heavy on the scale. Team Mayol claims this was covered up and they have refused to fight as a result.All-action Mexican warrior Hernan ‘Tyson’ Marquez will defend his WBA flyweight title against Filipino banger Rodel Mayol this Saturday, March 24 in Ciudad Obregon, Mexico. Mayol, who has fought in Mexico five times, spent several months training for the bout in Cebu, Philippines before moving camp to Los Angeles. Marquez was recently named “Fighter of the Year” for 2011 by the WBA and while Mayol will have a tough task ahead of him he hopes to follow in the footsteps of his countrymen Richie Mepranum and Nonito Donaire… two Pinoy fighters who defeated Marquez in recent years.
- See Mayweather’s “Money Team” Saturday on Showtime!
- Eye of the Tiger Management teams with with GYM and InterBox for “Aube Rouge” gala on September 27th!
- Golovkin announces Oct.18 HBO return against Rubio — PHOTOS from Los Angeles!
- Klitschko injury pushes Pulev defense to Nov. 15 in Germany
- Mayweather-Maidana 2 heats up ahead of Sept. 13 rematch!
- Can Algieri stand up to Pacman? Pacquiao-Algieri made official at Macau press-tour kick-off conference!
- Trout climbs off canvas to rally back and defeat Dawson
- InterBox: Quick Results from Mont-Saint-Hilaire, Quebec