Friday Scorecard: Vargas, Stevenson and Usmanee win big!
By Ace Freeman (08-Apr-2011)
Jesse Vargas KO 1 Vivian Harris
Mayweather Promotions’ rising light welterweight star Jesse Vargas continued his unbeaten run as a pro with a first round TKO of well travelled former world champion Vivian Harris earlier this evening in Primm, Nevada. Vargas took the fight to Harris in the opening round landing an array of hooks to the head and body. Harris tried to keep the younger man off of him but Vargas brought too much heat. At the end of Round 1 the bout was stopped after Harris returned to his corner on unsteady legs. With the win Vargas improved to 15-0 (8 KOs) while Harris dropped to 29-6-1 (19 KOs).
Adonis Stevenson KO 3 Derek Edwards
Former Quebec amateur standout Adonis Stevenson returned to the ring earlier this evening in Montreal on ESPN2 scoring a monstrous KO of Derek Edwards. ( Watch video highlights on Facebook ) It was Stevenson’s first time back in the ring in over a year since suffering his first pro defeat in 2010. In this fight the Quebec fighter couldn’t miss with his big straight left hand and he scored two hard knockdowns in the second. In Round 3 another telling straight left put Edwards down and out. The big KO win saw Stevenson improve to 14-1 (11 KOs).
Arash Usmanee W UD8 Aldo Valtierra
In a battle of lightweights, Alberta, Canada’s Arash Usmanee improved to 12-0 (6 KOs) earlier this evening in Montreal with a rough and tumble eight round decision victory over veteran Mexican Aldo Valtierra at the Bell Centre. The bout was largely fought in the trenches with a lot of leather being exchanged. Usmanee proved to be the stronger of the two and had the edge in the clinches allowing him to get the better work in. Valtierra lost a point in Round 6 for hitting behind the head which put him further in the hole as Usmanee took the bout by commanding scores of 80-71, and 79-72 (x2).
- Words before War: Jo Jo Dan and Kevin Bizier ready to throw down one more time this Friday on Showtime!
- Fast rising light heavyweight threat Artur Beterbiev returns Friday for the first time since destroying Tavoris Cloud!
- Pascal vs. Kovalev official for March 14 in Montreal!
- Adonis Stevenson: “I am focused on Friday and will win by KO… and then my plan is to face Kovalev in 2015!”
- Pacquiao keeps the pressure on Floyd with Tuesday Tweet: “Don’t be a humbug, lets give the fans the fight they want!”
- Adonis Stevenson looks to close 2014 with a BANG Friday on Showtime! Beterbiev, Bizier-Dan, Dirrell in action too!
- Irish Eyes are Smiling: Andy Lee’s improbable world title victory has him a “Fighter of the Year” candidate!
- WBC Champ Bermane Stiverne Defends Against KO Artist Deontay Wilder Jan. 17 On Showtime At MGM in Las Vegas!
One Response to “Friday Scorecard: Vargas, Stevenson and Usmanee win big!”
Disclaimer: FightFan.com will NOT be held responsible for ANY of the content appearing in the following discussion, but will do it's best ensure that the discussion stays relevant, beneficial, and acceptable to the readers of this site.
Leave a Reply
Note: We love to hear everyone's say, good or bad, but please try to keep your comments classy. Racist, sexist, homophobic, and otherwise tasteless remarks will not be tolerated. If you wish to ensure that your comments are posted right away (and not held for moderation) avoid using questionable language.
FightFan.com reserves the right to withhold, delete, and edit any comments which do not seem suitable to the discussion. FightFan.com also reserves the right to permanently ban any user that posts any comment that is deemed as unacceptable.