Friday Scorecard: Vargas, Stevenson and Usmanee win big!
By Ace Freeman (08-Apr-2011)
Jesse Vargas KO 1 Vivian Harris
Mayweather Promotions’ rising light welterweight star Jesse Vargas continued his unbeaten run as a pro with a first round TKO of well travelled former world champion Vivian Harris earlier this evening in Primm, Nevada. Vargas took the fight to Harris in the opening round landing an array of hooks to the head and body. Harris tried to keep the younger man off of him but Vargas brought too much heat. At the end of Round 1 the bout was stopped after Harris returned to his corner on unsteady legs. With the win Vargas improved to 15-0 (8 KOs) while Harris dropped to 29-6-1 (19 KOs).
Adonis Stevenson KO 3 Derek Edwards
Former Quebec amateur standout Adonis Stevenson returned to the ring earlier this evening in Montreal on ESPN2 scoring a monstrous KO of Derek Edwards. ( Watch video highlights on Facebook ) It was Stevenson’s first time back in the ring in over a year since suffering his first pro defeat in 2010. In this fight the Quebec fighter couldn’t miss with his big straight left hand and he scored two hard knockdowns in the second. In Round 3 another telling straight left put Edwards down and out. The big KO win saw Stevenson improve to 14-1 (11 KOs).
Arash Usmanee W UD8 Aldo Valtierra
In a battle of lightweights, Alberta, Canada’s Arash Usmanee improved to 12-0 (6 KOs) earlier this evening in Montreal with a rough and tumble eight round decision victory over veteran Mexican Aldo Valtierra at the Bell Centre. The bout was largely fought in the trenches with a lot of leather being exchanged. Usmanee proved to be the stronger of the two and had the edge in the clinches allowing him to get the better work in. Valtierra lost a point in Round 6 for hitting behind the head which put him further in the hole as Usmanee took the bout by commanding scores of 80-71, and 79-72 (x2).
- Highlights: DeGale and Bute engage in a thriller!
- James DeGale out-points Lucian Bute in a super middleweight classic!
- ‘The Prince of Hali’ Crowned King: Tyson Cave wins WBU world title by knockout in Nova Scotia!
- Saturday action: Alvarez edges Chilemba, Charlo and Spence win on PBC, Granados stuns Iman, more!
- Tyson Fury dethrones Wlad to end the Klitschko era!
- Charlo and Spence Jr. headline PBC this afternoon!
- DeGale and Bute both make weight in Quebec!
- Klitschko and Fury look similar in size at weigh-in!