Mayweather vs. Mosley clash a strong possibility now
By Ace Freeman (18-Jan-2010)
Now that Andre Berto has pulled out of his January 30 fight with Shane Mosley, a super bout between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Mosley seems like a logical option for both fighters next.
After the news broke earlier today that Andre Berto has pulled out of his January 30 bout with Shane Mosley to focus on family and relief efforts after last week’s tragic earthquake in Haiti, many sources are now reporting that negotiations are underway that may see Mosley move on to a fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr.. It has long been speculated that a Mosley fight would be the next best option (both in money and standing) for Mayweather after his proposed mega fight with Manny Pacquiao imploded. Monday’s events appear as though the door has opened to see that bout come to fruition. While there is no official comment from Mayweather, Golden Boy Promotion’s Richard Schaefer did acknowledge to ESPN’s Dan Rafael that a proposed clash between the two super stars is now atop his priority list.
“(Mayweather vs. Mosley) is a super fight, and now my next order of business — to see if we can put it together,” Schaefer told ESPN.com. “That is what I am going to be doing in the coming hours. The sooner the better if we can get this potential fight done. With Shane now being available and Floyd being available, that’s a fight all fight fans and sports fans would embrace. This would be a huge showdown. Shane has wanted that fight for a while. That’s what I am going to try to do.”
Golden Boy Promotions promotes Shane Mosley and have recently co-promoted Mayweather. It is expected that will make the in-house negotiating an easier task. While it has been speculated Mayweather would keep his March 13 date and look to go head to head with Manny Pacquiao’s pay-per-view against Joshua Clottey, it now seems more likely (and financially feasible) that a bout with Mosley would be pushed in to April or May. More details are expected in the coming weeks.
- Quick Jabs: Chisora pulls out of Fury rematch, Martinez vows to return, more results from Macau!
- Rigondeaux stops Kokietgym in ONE to become free agent!
- Emanuel Taylor vs. Karim Mayfield TONIGHT on ESPN!
- Mayhem: Mayweather-Maidana 2 Press Tour Rolling!
- Pacquiao opts for stay-busy fight with Algieri Nov. 22 in China
- Zou Shiming and Rigondeaux return Saturday in China!
- Bermane Stiverne: “Wilder’s not a threat but I’m taking him serious…I’m going to teach that little kid a lesson!”
- Arash Usmanee: “Time for Barthelemy to Do the Right Thing and Face Me Again!”