J.C. Burgos headlines ESPN’s “Friday Night Fights” tonight!
By FightFan News Wire (15-Jan-2010)
An exciting night of fisticuffs is on tap tonight on ESPN when Juan Carlos Burgos vs. Carlos Oliveira and Demetrius Andrade vs. Bernardo Guereca will highlight another action packed installment of “Friday Night Fights” at 9:00 PM/ET!
Arthur Pelullo’s Banner Promotions and Kenneth Thompson’s Thompson Boxing Promotions will present a sensational championship fight card this Friday, January 15, 2010, at the Laredo Entertainment Center, located at 6700 Arena Boulevard in Laredo, Texas. The main event, co-featured bout, and other selected fights will be televised live on ESPN2, ESPN Deportes, their Spanish-Language Network, and ESPN 360.com.
In the main event scheduled for 12 rounds, Juan Carlos Burgos, 23-0 with 16 knockouts, of Tijuana, Mexico, will defend the WBC Caribbean Boxing Federation (CABOFE) featherweight title against Juan Carlos Martinez, 15-10-1 with 5 knockouts, of San Luis Potosi, Mexico.
The 22 year-old Burgos is a five-year pro – he made his debut at 16 in Mexico. The young contender was born into boxing – his father was an amateur boxer and his uncle is the former IBF junior flyweight world champion Victor Burgos. Juan Carlos has given consistently impressive performances and climbed in the world rankings – he is currently ranked No. 2 in the world by the WBC and No. 14 by the WBO at 126 pounds.
Martinez, now 28 years old, is a six-year professional veteran. He is coming off one of his career-best wins in his last fight on September 26, 2009, an upset 10 round unanimous decision against hometown favorite Jose Hernandez (22-4) in Chicago. Martinez is experienced against very good opposition and has gone the distance against WBC interim lightweight world champion Antonio De Marco and former WBC featherweight world champion Guty Espadas.
The co-featured bout will be a six-round junior middleweight fight between 2008 U.S. Olympian Demetrius Andrade, 8-0 with 6 knockouts, of Providence, Rhode Island, against Bernardo Guereca, 15-9-1 with 3 knockouts, of Albuquerque, New Mexico. A rising young star – ESPN.com ranks him as one of the top young prospects in 2010 – Demetrius is co-promoted by Star Boxing Promotions.
Several experienced veterans and young prospects will also be included on the card.
Garret Simon will make his professional debut in a four-round heavyweight bout. Simon is from Puyallup, Washington, and was the 2008 National Junior Olympic gold medalist at 201 pounds. He will be facing Zakhariah King of Ft. Worth, Texas, who is also making his professional debut.
Local favorite Rodolfo Gomez Jr., 5-0, 4 KOs, Laredo, Texas will fight an opponent to be announced be in a four-round welterweight fight. Gomez is the son of Manuel “Shotgun” Gomez.
Three more fights are planned to complete the card. All bouts subject to change without notice.
Doors open at: 6:00 P.M. (Central Time)
First fight at: 8:00 P.M. (Central Time)
Tickets prices: $5, $10, $20, $50, $70; service charge and facility fee are added to each ticket price.
Tickets available at: Laredo Entertainment Center Box Office; all TicketMaster outlets, by phone at 1-800-745-3000, and TicketMaster.com.
- Danny Garcia and Paulie Malignaggi set to battle for Brooklyn Saturday night as PBC is back on ESPN!
- Road Warrior: Canada’s Jelena Mrdjenovic faces Edith Matthysse Saturday in Buenos Aires as No. 1 and 2 ranked featherweights collide in WBC /WBA unification bout!
- Cotto vs. Canelo super-fight likely for Nov. 21 in Las Vegas!
- Adonis Stevenson to defend his titles Sept. 11 in Toronto live on PBC on Spike TV!
- K.O. Boxing inks 6’4 Filipino Heavyweight Stan Surmacz Ahumada who will turn pro Sept. 11 in Edmonton, Canada!
- Linear light heavyweight champ Adonis Stevenson blasts Sergey Kovalev: Your team dumped the purse bid to fight me… it would be my pleasure to knock you out!”
- Kovalev ‘krushes’ Mohammedi’s face to win in three, HBO again down-plays Adonis Stevenson in aftermath!
- Pascal soldiers on edging Gonzalez in a barn burner!