Marvin Sonsona wins world title at 19 years old with unanimous decision win over Jose Lopez!
By Ivan 'LatinoPorVida' Montiel (04-Sep-2009)
Marvin Sonsona W UD12 Jose Lopez
‘Marvelous’ Marvin Sonsona became one of the youngest Filipino champions in history with a decision win over Jose Lopez moments ago at Casino Rama in Ontario, Canada capturing the WBO junior bantamweight title in just his fourteenth pro fight. Both fighters felt each other out in Round 1, but in the second stanza the taller rangier Sonsona had great success in landing hooks and uppercuts under Lopez’s attack and hurt him in the closing seconds.
In Round 4 Sonsona dropped Lopez hard with a well placed hook, but the cagey Puerto Rican champion survived the round. Lopez recovered well and took the fight to Sonsona over the middle rounds but the 19 year old Pinoy showed no signs of slowing. Lopez was warned several times for low blows half way through the bout and in Round 8 was deducted a point. Both fighters traded shots in the championship rounds but remarkably the younger Sonsona, who had never been past five rounds in his sort career, managed to find another gear late in the fight.
After twelve rounds were complete a determined effort from the young challenger coupled with the champion losing two points for a knockdown and a low blow were enough to see Sonsona capture the WBO junior bantamweight title via unanimous decision. Scores were 114-111, 115-110, and 116-109, all for Sonsona. With the win Sonsona improved to 14-0 (12 KOs) and affirmed his place as one of the top rising prospects in the boxing.
- Weekend Boxing TV Schedule for Oct. 9/10: Jorge Linares, Orlando Cruz, Flanagan-Magdaleno II, O’Connor-Bracero, Tackie-Alvarez, more!
- Fight Day in Rochester!: Melissa Hernandez and Gina Chamie Top Huge Card at the Radisson Grand Ballroom
- Bute and DeGale officially announce Nov. 28 clash!
- Dierry Jean vs. Terence Crawford HBO video preview!
- Watch Viktor Postol shock Lucas Matthysse blow by blow – PHOTOS from Carson, CA!
- Bute-DeGale set for Nov. 28, Dierry Jean warns Crawford, Alcine to test Charlo, Dekada seeking late replacements!
- Highlights: Broner wins WBA 140-lb world title!
- Postol stuns Matthysse scoring pure tenth round knockout to win WBC 140-pound world title!