Marvin Sonsona wins world title at 19 years old with unanimous decision win over Jose Lopez!
By Ivan 'LatinoPorVida' Montiel (04-Sep-2009)
Marvin Sonsona W UD12 Jose Lopez
‘Marvelous’ Marvin Sonsona became one of the youngest Filipino champions in history with a decision win over Jose Lopez moments ago at Casino Rama in Ontario, Canada capturing the WBO junior bantamweight title in just his fourteenth pro fight. Both fighters felt each other out in Round 1, but in the second stanza the taller rangier Sonsona had great success in landing hooks and uppercuts under Lopez’s attack and hurt him in the closing seconds.
In Round 4 Sonsona dropped Lopez hard with a well placed hook, but the cagey Puerto Rican champion survived the round. Lopez recovered well and took the fight to Sonsona over the middle rounds but the 19 year old Pinoy showed no signs of slowing. Lopez was warned several times for low blows half way through the bout and in Round 8 was deducted a point. Both fighters traded shots in the championship rounds but remarkably the younger Sonsona, who had never been past five rounds in his sort career, managed to find another gear late in the fight.
After twelve rounds were complete a determined effort from the young challenger coupled with the champion losing two points for a knockdown and a low blow were enough to see Sonsona capture the WBO junior bantamweight title via unanimous decision. Scores were 114-111, 115-110, and 116-109, all for Sonsona. With the win Sonsona improved to 14-0 (12 KOs) and affirmed his place as one of the top rising prospects in the boxing.
- Schiller Hyppolite headlines Nov.14 boxing gala in Mont-Saint Hilaire, Quebec!
- ‘K9′ Bundrage defeats Molina to regain 154 lb title!
- Cotroni blitzes Reittie to score first round KO in Gatineau!
- Watch rising Canadian prospect Steven Butler’s latest win!
- Big Ben’s Boxing Beat: Molina vs Brundage; Selby Confident; Berry Humble but Focused; Avalanche of Televised Boxing in Argentina
- Cotroni-Reittie Headlines in Gatineau; Brewer Returns in Maine; Cheikho Headed for Kansas; No CPBC title for Baeholi-Carmen?
- Claggett set to return headlining Teofista Series 14!
- Canadian Champ Brewer Looking to Impress Against Almeida in Lewiston, Maine
103 Responses to “Marvin Sonsona wins world title at 19 years old with unanimous decision win over Jose Lopez!”
Disclaimer: FightFan.com will NOT be held responsible for ANY of the content appearing in the following discussion, but will do it's best ensure that the discussion stays relevant, beneficial, and acceptable to the readers of this site.
Leave a Reply
Note: We love to hear everyone's say, good or bad, but please try to keep your comments classy. Racist, sexist, homophobic, and otherwise tasteless remarks will not be tolerated. If you wish to ensure that your comments are posted right away (and not held for moderation) avoid using questionable language.
FightFan.com reserves the right to withhold, delete, and edit any comments which do not seem suitable to the discussion. FightFan.com also reserves the right to permanently ban any user that posts any comment that is deemed as unacceptable.